· If possible, avoid being outside during the hottest part of the day – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
· If you must exercise outside, drink two to four glasses of cool, nonalcoholic fluids each hour
· Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing
· Those who work outdoors should work in short bursts, take frequent breaks and seek shade whenever possible
· If you must be out in the sun, wear sunscreen with at least an SPF 15 rating
· Never leave a child or pet in a closed, parked vehicle
· Monitor those who are at high risk (young children, seniors, those with chronic illness, etc.)
· Avoid hot foods and heavy meals as they add heat to your body
This document was produced by Communication Services Division staff, Corporate Services Department,
at the Town of Richmond Hill.