Admission Standards (Effective January 2006)
Admission Standards for Public Pools have been developed by the Office of the Chief Coroner to assist lifeguards in maintaining adequate surveillance over the whereabouts and activities of young bathers while they are inside the pool enclosure. The Ministry of Health and Long Term Care strongly support these Standards for the purpose of preventing injuries and fatalities. The following admission standards are enforced at all public swimming pools in the Town of Richmond Hill.
Children – 5 years of age
- Must be accompanied in the water by a parent or adult guardian (minimum 16-years of age)
- Parent or guardian is responsible for their direct supervision and must be within arms reach of the child at all times
- Maximum two children per parent or adult guardian
Children – 6 to 9 years of age and younger
- Must be accompanied in the water by a parent or guardian (minimum 12-years of age)
- Parent/guardian is responsible for their direct supervision, must be able to give immediate assistance
- Non-swimmers must remain within arms reach of their parent or guardian
- Maximum four children per parent or guardian
During Wave Swims
- Accompanying parent or guardian must be a minimum of 16 years of age
- Parents and/or guardians are recommended to be within arms reach of their children at all times regardless of swimming ability
Children – 10 years of age and older
Rules & Guidelines
- May swim without a parent or guardian
- Recommended to always swim with a buddy
- We encourage parents to always swim with their children and enjoy the water together for safe family fun!
- Persons with serious medical conditions should be accompanied by an individual knowledgeable of their condition and responsible for their direct supervision.
- Food and beverages are not permitted on any pool deck or in changerooms.
- For the comfort of all patrons, children 6 years of age and older are required to use the appropriate gender specific (male/female) changeroom. Special Needs/Family changerooms are available for those who prefer to change as a family.
- All Participants are reminded that valuables and personal belongings should not be left unattended in any change room. Coin lockers are available at all aquatic facilities (change may be obtained from front desk). The Town of Richmond Hill is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you lock your belongings up and leave valuables at home.
- To be in the pool or on the pool deck appropriate bathing attire is required. Persons wearing street clothes will not be permitted on deck or in the pool. Patrons are welcome to watch from the viewing gallery. All bathers must shower before entering the pool.
- Children who are not toilet-trained must wear tight-legged plastic pants under or over their swimsuits, or a Pool Pant Diaper. Disposable diapers are not permitted in the water. Plastic Pants or Huggies Little Swimmers are available to purchase at the front desk.
- With the exception of water wings, personal inflatable objects are not permitted in any pool. PFDs/Lifejackets are a much better substitute for water wings and are available at all locations. (Please ask a lifeguard for your correct size). Any children wearing water wings or a PFD/Lifejacket must be within arms reach of a parent at all times.
- Only Town of Richmond Hill staff are permitted to teach lessons during Recreational Swim times.
- Pool fouling may result in pool closures. Please encourage children to visit the washroom before entering the pool.
- No refunds will be given due to closures or unforeseen circumstances beyond our control.
- Complimentary Passes may be issued to those who provide a receipt as proof of admission within 30 minutes prior to incident.
- Aquatic Staff will educate patrons and enforce these and a number of other rules/guidelines in order to maintain as safe a swimming environment as possible.