On August 10, 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared that the H1N1 flu pandemic has ended.
Although the pandemic is officially over, it is expected that the H1N1 flu virus will take on the behaviour of seasonal influenza virus and circulate for many years. The Regional Municipality of York will continue to work with its government and health care partners to monitor and prevent the spread of influenza through its surveillance, immunization and infection control programs.
Everyone can play a role in protecting themselves and others from getting the flu. York Region's Public Health Branch encourages you to continue to take the following steps to stop the spread of influenza viruses:
- Wash hands well and often
- Cough and sneeze into your sleeve or a tissue, not your hand; dispose of tissues immediately and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth; germs spread this way
- Stay home when you are ill and limit your contact with others
- Clean and disinfect shared surfaces
For more information about the H1N1 flu and the current situation::