Effective March 31, 2015, Richmond Hill’s Tow Truck Licensing By-law helps to ensure the safety and welfare of tow truck customers and operators. The By-law requires all Richmond Hill tow trucks to be licensed and describes many other requirements, such as obtaining a signed Permission to Tow form prior to towing your vehicle.
Finally, to promote safety for everyone involved, tow trucks must be maintained in good condition and can be inspected at any time by a Richmond Hill By-law enforcement officer or York Regional Police.
The By-law also specifies the permissible towing fees.
Application Process for Licences
- collision scene tow $250.00
- non-collision scene tow $125.00
- winch fee $103.00
- storage (indoor/outdoor) per day $60.00/55.00
- wait time (collision reporting centre) $17.00/15 minutes ($68/hour)
- rate per km in tow for first 30km $3.10/km; after first 30km $1.55/km
Application packages for tow truck licences are available for pick-up from Richmond Hill Regulatory Services, 225 East Beaver Creek, 3rd floor, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Tow Truck Licensing By-law – Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What criteria do you use in determining whether or not a tow truck will pass an inspection?
A. Licensing Enforcement Officers examine over 40 items during each tow truck inspection. To pass the inspection, strict standards must be met relating to:
If a tow truck does not pass inspection, the vehicle will not be licensed and therefore cannot operate in the Town of Richmond Hill.
- Safety for riders, e.g. operational seat belts, operational door locks, secure bumpers, etc.
- Safety at an accident scene, e.g. flares, first aid kit, absorbent material for cleaning spills on roads, etc.
- Safety during towing and hoisting, e.g. flares, two large tow safety chains, one large wheel lift, flashing amber lights, etc.
- Comfort for rider, e.g. clean interior, proper armrests, etc.
- Ensuring the job can be performed properly, e.g. all necessary equipment is present, etc.
Q. How does the Town of Richmond Hill endeavour to protect citizens from tow truck operators who overcharge or who otherwise do not conduct the tow professionally?
A. There are several measures in place to govern and regulate Town of Richmond Hill-licensed tow truck operators. By-Law 54-13 ensures, amongst other things, that:
Queries and concerns can be submitted by telephone, by regular mail, by email or in person, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Every effort will be made to respond on the next business day to emails received after regular business hours.
- The tow truck is properly insured
- The tow truck operator has a valid driver’s license, a good driving record and no criminal record
- A citizen’s property/contents during a tow are kept safe
- Clients are towed to the location required
- The tow truck operator provides access to the Tow Rate Sheet
- The owner/operator of the vehicle being towed executes an Permission to Tow form prior to hook-up of the vehicle
Tow Truck Licensing By-law - 54-13 [PDF]
News Release: New Tow Truck By-law Approved - October 29, 2013
Staff Report (SRPRS.13.202) – Tow Truck Licensing By-law – October 21, 2013 [PDF]
Staff Report (SRPRS.13.017) - Draft Tow Truck Licensing By-law - February 4, 2013 [PDF]