It doesn’t have to cost a fortune to say ‘I do.’ Your wedding day can be special too, even if you opt for a more intimate setting or smaller gathering like city hall. Due to changes to the Marriage Act, Municipal Clerks can now perform civil marriage ceremonies, so you can celebrate your special day with a convenient and affordable ceremony at Richmond Hill’s main Municipal Offices. Ceremonies are performed by Office of the Clerk staff for all eligible couples by appointment only. Lasting approximately 15 minutes, ceremonies are simple, dignified and non-denominational.
The total cost of a civil ceremony is $412.50 (including taxes). Fees are payable at the time of the pre-wedding meeting by cash, debit and/or personal cheque.
||$130 (as of January 1, 2012)
A pre-wedding meeting is required prior to the date of the ceremony and both applicants must attend. Ceremonies are performed on Friday's only between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Richmond Hill is closed on all statutory holidays.
Two witnesses are required and must be present at the ceremony. Witnesses from the Office of the Clerk staff can be provided for a fee.
Office of the Clerk staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows or has reasonable grounds to believe lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances rendering a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:
- One or both parties are under physical or mental duress
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents)
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
- One or both parties are currently married
- One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage. If the person solemnizing a marriage has any doubts as to the mental capacity of the parties, or one of the parties, he/she may refuse to perform the ceremony.
Photographs are permitted, so feel free to bring along a photographer.
Ceremonies are performed in English only. Those persons requiring an interpreter must arrange to provide their own.
For additional information regarding civil marriage ceremonies and/or to book your ceremony, please contact the Office of the Clerk at 905-747-6406.