Bookmark and Share


Business | Visitor | Text Only | Contact Us

Home > Town Hall > Departments > Corporate & Financial Services Department
> Council Support Services/Town Clerk Division
Print this page Print this page

Marriage Licence

How to Obtain a Marriage Licence

If you intend to marry within Ontario, you may obtain a marriage licence at any municipal office within Ontario. A marriage licence expires three months from the date of issue. For couples planning to have a religious and civil ceremony, you must have your civil ceremony first under the authority of the marriage licence. Please contact our offices for further details.

Important note: If you have had a religious ceremony that was performed in any country, a marriage licence cannot be issued, as you are considered married.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies - It doesn't have to cost a fortune to say 'I do'. Civil marriage ceremonies can be now be performed by Office of the Clerk staff for a fee. 

Marriage Applications - must be completed prior to the licence being issued. They can be picked up from any municipal office or printed from the Marriage Licence Application link below. You must arrange your ceremony prior to the marriage licence being issued.

Marriage Licences - will be issued only to either the Bride and/or Groom (applicants). It is not necessary for both the Bride and Groom to attend the municipal offices for their licence however, the application must be signed by both and all identification produced must be original documents.

Identification - Applicants must produce two (2) original pieces of identification for each applicant, which may include the following:

  • Birth Certificate, Current Passport, Record of Immigrant Landing, Driver's Licence, Canadian Citizenship Card, Permanent Resident's Card, Change of Name Certificate. PHOTOCOPIES CANNOT BE ACCEPTED. Failure to produce the required documents will result in no marriage licence issued.

Divorces - If either applicant is divorced, you are required to present with your application, an "original" or "court-certified copy" of the Final Decree or Certificate of Divorce. (Photocopies of certificates are not acceptable). A divorce certificate may be obtained from the court that granted the divorce (usually the same day).

Divorced Outside of Canada - If the divorce was granted outside of Canada, the municipal office will provide and assist you with a Foreign Divorce Kit, required to be completed for authorization from the Office of the Registrar General. A marriage licence cannot be issued until the authorization is issued to the applicant and submitted with the marriage application. This process may take up to 4 weeks.

Age - You must be at least 18 years of age. No person under the age of 16 may marry. Any person who is 16 or 17 years of age may marry with the consent of both parents. Forms are available from your local Municipal Office.

The fee for a marriage licence is $145 (as of January 1, 2015) payable by cash, cheque, debit, Visa or MasterCard at the time your licence is issued. It takes approximately 15 - 30 minutes to process your licence.

Location - Our offices are located at 225 East Beaver Creek Rd. (northwest corner of Highway #7 and East Beaver Creek Rd.), Access Richmond Hill, Ground Floor. Marriage licences are issued between the hours 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday, and no appointment is required. If you require more information on marriage licence procedures, please contact our Marriage Licensing Office at 905-771-8800.

Marriage Licence Application [PDF]

Office of the Registrar General Online Certificate Application


Town of Richmond Hill
Contact Us Departments Disclaimer Privacy Click for more information on the Town's Character Community initiative
Town of Richmond Hill
Get Flash Player
Town of Richmond Hill
Get Adobe Reader
Town of Richmond Hill Search by Google Town of Richmond Hill

Contact Us Departments Town of Richmond Hill Disclaimer Privacy Text Only