Waste Management Home
ADDITIONAL YARD WASTE COLLECTION – Monday, December 22
An additional yard waste collection was approved by Council at its Monday, December 15 meeting. Please see the following guidelines for placement and bundling of yard waste.
Yard Waste must be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on Monday, December 22 and no earlier than 6 p.m. on Sunday, December 21.
Please Note: The next yard waste pickup Monday, March 30, 2015.
Regular Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
2014 Yard Waste Collection Dates
April 7 (changed from March 31)
April 14 and 28
May 12 and 26
June 9 and 23
July 7 and 21
August 11 and 25
September 8 and 22
October 6, 20 and 27
November 3, 10, 17 and 24
When placing Yard Waste out for collection, remember:
- Yard waste must be in a clean, open, rigid and reusable container such as a garbage can or bushel basket, a cardboard box, or a large, Kraft paper bag (available at most retailers). Clear, plastic bags are not accepted as of January 1, 2005.
- Brush must be tied and bundled with twine (1.2 m in length and no branches larger than 10 cm in diameter.) Each container or bundle cannot exceed 18 kg.
- Leaves and weeds will also be collected, however, grass clippings are not collected and are best left on the lawn. Alternately, grass clippings may be disposed of at the locations listed below .
- Yard Waste should not be left at the curb between collection days and may be subject to fines;
- Leaves on the road can present a serious traffic and drainage hazard. Wet leaves are extremely slippery and are a safety hazard for motorists. In addition, leaves can block culverts and roadside catchbasins and may cause flooding. Your assistance with keeping these areas free of excess leaves is appreciated.
- The following material will not be collected: sod or soil, yard waste in plastic bags and grass clippings.
Free Yard Waste Depots
Richmond Hill residents may drop off their yard waste free of charge at this location during specified hours:
Miller Waste Systems Site
1351 Bloomington Road, Richmond Hill
The Miller Waste Systems site is open for people to drop off their yard waste from December 1 to March 31, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and April 1 to November 30, Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Loads are accepted in personal vehicles only. Trailers that are less than 1 cubic yard in size will be free. Trailers at more than 1 cubic yard (3' x 3' x 3') are now charged $65 per tonne.
What's Accepted at the Yard Waste Depot
- Grass clippings
- Vegetable garden waste
- Flowers and garden plants
- Sod - in small quantities
Visit the York Region Website or call Richmond Hill at 905-771-8800.