Ann Gold Scholarship Poster [PDF]
In recognition of the importance of youth to the future of our community, the Town of Richmond Hill has developed the Ann Gold Community Spirit Scholarship Program. The purpose of this annual program is to recognize graduating high school students who exemplify “community spirit” and to celebrate their achievements. “Community spirit” is defined as students who take pride in their community, actively participate in school life, volunteer within the Town and are role models for both their peers and younger students. The purpose of the scholarship is to assist with the cost of post secondary education.
Five (5) scholarships of $1,000 each will be available for five (5) students who live in the Town of Richmond Hill and are in their last year of high school. These students may attend any high school, including those not located in Richmond Hill, but they must reside in the Town.
Students are eligible to be chosen for the Ann Gold Community Spirit Scholarship Program if they are:
- a resident of the Town of Richmond Hill;
- a graduating high school student; and
- planning on attending a post secondary institution in the year immediately following graduation.
What to Submit:
1. Essay - A 500-word essay on the topic of what community spirit means to you and how you exemplify community spirit in your daily life. Include a cover letter with your name, contact information and your high school.
2. Educational Plan for 2014/ 2015 - Outline your plans for the 2014/2015 year including your intended area of study.
3. List of Volunteer Activities - List and describe the school and volunteer activities you partake in.
4. Reference Letter - Include a reference letter from an individual that can speak to how you demonstrate community spirit. Be sure to include the number of years you have known the reference and in what capacity.
To apply for a scholarship, send your essay and supporting documents to:
225 East Beaver Creek Road
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3P4
For more information, please contact Beth Zimmer at 905-771-5526.
Applications Due: Friday, May 2, 2014
2013 Ann Gold Scholarship Recipients
Angie Tang, Bayview Secondary School
Cassandra Myers, Jean Vanier Catholic High School
Erin Edwards, Langstaff Secondary School
Shannon Wong, Richmond Hill High School
Sharon Thomson, St. Robert Catholic High School