Bookmark and Share


Business | Visitor | Text Only | Contact Us

Home > Town Hall > Departments > Planning & Regulatory Services Department
> Planning Division
Print this page Print this page

Committee of Adjustment

Planning Division Home

The Committee of Adjustment is composed of five members, who are appointed by the Council of the Town of Richmond Hill. The Committee of Adjustment is authorized by the Ontario Planning Act to grant minor variances from the provisions of the Zoning By-law, to permit extensions, enlargements or variations of existing legal non-conforming uses and give consent to an owner of land who wishes to sell, convey or transfer an interest "part" of their land (i.e. creation of a new lot, lot addition, easement).

The Committee's consent is also required when the terms of an agreement, such as a lease, easement or mortgage commits the land to a use for a period in excess of 21 years. In addition to Consent, the Committee of Adjustment has also been delegated the power to issue a "Certificate of Validation".

The Committee of Adjustment meets on Thursday evenings every three weeks, starting at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers at the Municipal Offices, located at 225 East Beaver Creek Road.

2016 Commitee of Adjustment Meeting Schedule [PDF]

2016 Commitee of Adjustment Application Deadlines [PDF]

Committee of Adjustment Meeting Agendas & Staff Reports

Minor Variance & Consent Applications

Minor Variance Applications
The owner of any land, building or structure or any person authorized in writing by the owner who is unable to comply with the provisions of the Zoning By-law may apply to the Committee of Adjustment by means of an "Application for Minor Variance".

Minor Variances may be granted provided that, in the opinion of the Committee, the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and if in the opinion of the Committee, the general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law and the Official Plan are maintained.

Consent Applications
An owner of land or any person authorized in writing by the owner may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for "consent" to convey part of the land. The Committee may give "consent" if in its opinion the application conforms to the provisions of the Planning Act, Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

How do I Know if I Need a Consent or a Minor Variance?
If you are considering applying for a consent or a minor variance you should contact the Zoning Section in the Building Division to confirm that your proposal will conform with the Zoning By-law. For consents, contact the Planning and Development Department to confirm Official Plan designation.

Building Division
Phone: (905) 771-8810
Fax: (905) 771-5445
Planning & Development
Phone: (905) 771-8910
Fax: (905) 771-2404

Applying to the Committee of Adjustment
Any person wishing to apply to the Committee of Adjustment should obtain and complete the appropriate application form. The application form outlines the requirements for submitting an application for "minor variance" or "consent". The requirements include a sketch or survey which will indicate the location of the property, the setbacks of all buildings or structures on the property and sufficient information to clearly identify the variance required or consent being applied for. The number and size of the sketch or survey is outlined on the application form. If necessary, it is recommended that the Toronto Region Conservation Authority be contacted with respect to any concerns it may have. If there is a person acting as an agent for the purposes of the application, authorization is required from the registered owner(s) of the property.

An application package is available at the Committee of Adjustment Office or can be downloaded at the links below.


  • Important Notice About Applications [PDF]

    Application Forms

  • Application for [Severance] Consent [PDF]
  • Application for Minor Variance [PDF]
  • Application for Validation of Title [PDF]


  • 2016 Committee of Adjustment Fee Schedule [PDF]
  • TRCA Fee Schedule for Planning Services [PDF]

    Contact Info

    Committee of Adjustment
    P: (905) 771-8820
    F: (905) 771-2404

  • Town of Richmond Hill
    Contact Us Departments Disclaimer Privacy Click for more information on the Town's Character Community initiative
    Town of Richmond Hill
    Get Flash Player
    Town of Richmond Hill
    Get Adobe Reader
    Town of Richmond Hill Search by Google Town of Richmond Hill

    Contact Us Departments Town of Richmond Hill Disclaimer Privacy Text Only