The Richmond Hill Street Banner Contest is a celebration of the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation. The theme for the Richmond Hill Street Banner contest is "Past, Present and Future." This theme encourages members of the community to celebrate Canada's past, present and future by reflecting on their connection to Richmond Hill, the current strengths of the community and the possibilities for its future. In addition, entries are encouraged to demonstrate this theme by incorporating one or more of the following priorities:
- Diversity and inclusion in the building of common interests and relationships
- Supporting efforts towards reconciliation of Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Canadians
- Engaging and inspiring youth to carry forward the legacy of Canada 150
- Connecting Canadians with nature and raising environmental stewardship to the level of a national consciousness
A call for entries is available for visual art including photography, digital art, collage, painting, illustration and printmaking.
- You may submit up to five (5) entries.
- The contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations.
- Artwork must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of Richmond Hill, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Photographs containing people, whose identities are clearly discernible, must submit a completed Image Release Form with their entry.
- Each digital file submitted must be identified by your first name, last name and image number.
- For example: John-Doe001-CityCentre.jpg; John-Doe002-ParksNature.jpg
- Do not send in your files with only the image number from your computer. You must rename each entry using the example above or it may be disqualified.
- Identification including name(s), mailing address, email address, and phone number must be included in all entries, CDs and memory sticks that are submitted for consideration.
- Words, letters and numbers may be included in the overall design if they are related to the theme of the artwork.
- The artwork must be original and the artist must be the exclusive owner of any artwork submitted.
- The artist retains sole copyright to his/her artwork. Richmond Hill will have unlimited reproduction rights to all contest entries.
- Absolutely no mechanical reproductions of original works are permitted.
- If your physical artwork is selected, it will be professionally scanned or photographed at very high resolution in order for it to be resized and made into a street banner.
- All images must meet these requirements: high resolution, minimum 300dpi, CMYK.
- Minimum finished artwork size must maintain a proportional scale of 4.25 inches wide by 10 inches tall.
- All CD, memory stick and emailed entries should be in high resolution JPG or PDF formats only.
- If the original artwork does not meet these minimum dimensions, it will be cropped to fit.
- Submit only portrait / vertically oriented or square cropped photographs in order to retain the integrity of the original photograph. Landscape oriented images are discouraged due to the vertical orientation of the banner designs.
- All artwork, CDs and memory sticks may be picked up by the artist after the selection is complete at the Community Services reception desk on the 8th floor of 225 East Beaver Creek Road.
- No purchase necessary.
Thank you for your interest in the Street Banner Contest. The submission period is now closed.
Include the following in your entry package:
- Entry form
- Visual artwork
- Image release form (if a photograph contains people whose identities are clearly discernible)
For an accessible entry, email us or call us at 905-771-5508.
2017 Richmond Hill Street Banner Contest
8th Floor, 225 East Beaver Creek
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3P4
You can drop off your complete entry package to the Community Services reception desk on the 8th floor of 225 East Beaver Creek Road.
Email your complete entry package to email@example.com. Due to a 10MB limit on emails please use Dropbox or WeTransfer. Your subject line should read: 2017 Richmond Hill Street Banner Contest (First Name, Last Name).
Thank you to the City of Richmond, British Columbia for their assistance with Richmond Hill's Street Banner Contest Rules and Guidelines.
The Richmond Hill Street Banner Contest (the "Contest") is brought to you by the Corporation of the Town of Richmond Hill, 225 East Beaver Creek, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3P4 (the "Contest Sponsor").
The Richmond Hill Street Banner Contest begins at 12:01 a.m. EST on Monday, January 16, 2017 ("Contest Start Date") and closes at 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, February 24, 2017 ("Contest End Date").
Conditions of Eligibility
- The contest is open to residents of Richmond Hill only who are legal residents of Canada excluding the selection committee, any elected official or candidate running for public or political office, and/or employee or contractor of the Contest Sponsor. Individuals must have accepted and agreed to be legally bound by these Official Contest Rules (the "Rules") as an entrant.
- The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations.
- No purchase necessary.
How to Enter
To enter, the individual entrant must submit the following:
- A completed Entry Form
- Visual Artwork that represents the theme "Past, Present and Future"
- Image Release Form if a photograph contains people whose identities are clearly discernible.
Entries must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail / in person to the Community Services reception desk on the 8th floor of 225 East Beaver Creek Road. Any other submissions will be rejected and deemed void.
- Each entrant may include up to five (5) pieces of visual artwork.
- The entrant must be the exclusive owner of any artwork submitted and any image therein and/or have all necessary rights, title and interest in and to the image and its negative (if any). By entering, the entrant represents and warrants that the entry (including the images) has not been copied in whole or in part from any other work, does not violate or infringe any copyright, moral right, trademark or other proprietary right of any person or entity, and is, together with the copyright and moral rights therein, the sole and exclusive property of the entrant.
- Artwork must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Contest Sponsor, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- There is a limit of five (5) entries per person. Any attempt or suspected attempt to enter more than 5 per person, including a finding that any person has used multiple accounts to submit more than 5 entries, any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or entry methods not authorized by these rules, shall be deemed as tampering and will void all of your entries.
- Up to twenty (20) pieces of visual artwork are eligible to be selected for display on street banners for a portion of 2017.
- Selected designs will be chosen by a panel of volunteers from the community including members of Richmond Hill's Public Art Advisory Committee and Richmond Hill staff chosen by the Contest Sponsor.
- To be declared a winner, selected entrants' eligibility must be confirmed in person at the Contest Sponsor's office at a mutually convenient time, and they must correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question. The Contest Sponsor's rulings are final and without appeal in all matters related to the promotion and the awarding of the prize and without appeal in all matters related to the promotion and the awarding of prizes.
- If a selected entrant has not attended at the Contest Sponsor office within ten (10) business days of notification of the selection of his/her entry, incorrectly answers the skill-testing question or declines the prize, another entrant will be selected.
- Chances of being selected will depend on the number of submissions received. All entries that are incomplete, illegible, damaged, irregular, have been submitted through illicit means, or do not conform to or satisfy any condition of the rules may be disqualified by the Contest Sponsor. The Contest Sponsor takes no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged, misdirected, late or destroyed entries, or for typographical or other production errors. The Contest Sponsor is not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded, may not be exchanged for an amount of money, nor sold or transferred.
- No communications will be entered into except with selected entrants or their parent/guardian if younger than 18.
- The Contest Sponsors are collecting, using and disclosing personal data about entrants for the purpose of administering this Contest. No further informational or marketing communications will be received by entrants unless entrants provide the Contest Sponsors with explicit permission to do so.
- By entering this Contest, entrants release and hold harmless the Contest Sponsor, its appointees, directors, officers, employees, and agents (collectively the "Releasees") from any liability in connection with this contest or, if declared a winner, awarding, acceptance or use of the prize(s).
- By entering the contest, entrants consent to the use of their name, place of residence, voice, statements, and photographs or other likenesses for publicity, advertising or informational purposes in any medium or format without further compensation or notice. Entrants further acknowledge and agree to grant to the Contest Sponsor a perpetual irrevocable license to make, and authorize the making of, reproductions of the artwork in any form and for any purpose.
- This Contest will be run in accordance with these rules, subject to amendment by the Contest Sponsors. Contestants must comply with these rules, and will be deemed to have received and understood the rules by participating in the Contest. The terms of this Contest, as set out in these rules, are not subject to amendment or counter-offer, except as set out herein.
- Contest Sponsors assume no responsibility for failure of the internet or any websites during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, or at any website, internet or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion.