Strategic Plan Home
Official Plan Home
The 2015 Socio-Economic Study [PDF] aims to answer three questions: who is Richmond Hill, where does Richmond Hill fit in York Region and the Greater Toronto Area, and what trends are likely to affect Richmond Hill in the future?
The infographic on the right provides the demographic highlights from the 2015 Socio-Economic Study.
Highlights of the study include:
- Population grew by 22,837 persons or by 14.0% in 5 years (2006 to 2011).
- Richmond Hill is growing at a slower rate than in the previous six census periods.
- Visible minorities make up 52.9 per cent of Richmond Hill’s population.
- Richmond Hill has the highest proportion of Farsi-speaking (8.8 per cent) and Korean-speaking (2.4 per cent) residents in the Greater Toronto Area.
- More than 77 per cent of Richmond Hill residents aged 25-64 have completed some form of post-secondary degree.
- More than 85 per cent of Richmond Hill residents are homeowners.
- The number of medium-sized businesses (20-99 employees) in Richmond Hill grew to 14% of businesses between 2006 and 2011. Small businesses (1-19 employees) represent 84% of businesses.
- One in six residents use public transit – an increase from one in eight in 2001.
2015 Socio-Economic Study [PDF]