Richmond Hill recognizes the benefits that designated off leash dog areas can provide for both dogs and their owners. These areas allow dogs to safely run free, meet new canine friends and enjoy the great outdoors. Owners can also benefit from the social atmosphere, sharing tips and tricks with other dog lovers. Remember, you are responsible, as a dog owner to keep these areas safe and enjoyable for all!
Phyllis Rawlinson Park Off Leash Dog Area*
The area, a fenced in 1 hectare site is located in Ward 3 within Phyllis Rawlinson Park just north of 19th Avenue off Leslie Street. It is contained by a 1.5m galvanized wired fence with cedar timber posts.
- Onsite parking
- Bathroom facilities
- Separate small dog area
- Double gated entrance
- Upgraded access path to meet accessibility standards
*Notice of Temporary Closure - Saturday, May 28, 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Please be advised that we’ll be planting trees in the off leash dog area at Phyllis Rawlinson Park on May 28 from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and as a result it will be closed during that time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Access Richmond Hill at 905-771-8800.
Phyllis Rawlinson Park Off Leash Dog Area Site Map [PDF]
Tower Hill Off Leash Dog Area
The area, a fenced 3/4 hectare site, is located in Ward 4 on Town-owned open space lands south of Tower Hill Road and just west of Yonge Street. It is contained by a 1.5 m tall chain link fence with a separate small dog area and a double-gated entry and exit area. The area is also located on the Town’s trail system to maximize its accessibility and the site will not impact any designated sensitive environmental areas. Tower Hill Off Leash Area was temporarily closed from October 22 to 24 for landscape enhancements. An evergreen hedgerow was planted to reduce visibility between the off leash area and Moraine Ridge Drive.
Tower Hill Off Leash Dog Area Location [PDF]
Rules and Regulations
Please understand and abide by the hours of operation for these areas out of respect to the community members who live in the adjoining neighborhoods.
Hours of Operation: April 15 to October 15 – 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and October 16 to April 14 – 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
All Off Leash Dog Areas are subject to the Town’s Off Leash Dog Area Rules (Park Use By-law 16-83)
1. The following dogs are NOT permitted within the off leash area:
2. Dogs must be accompanied by an owner of at least 16 years of age.
- unlicensed dogs,
- female dogs in heat ,
- male dogs that have not been neutered,
- dogs without up-to-date vaccinations; and
- dogs required to be muzzled pursuant to the Dog Owner’s Liability Act (eg.pitbulls).
3. No one owner may be responsible for more than 3 dogs in the off leash area.
4. Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the off leash area.
5. Glass containers and other breakable materials capable of causing injury to a dog are not permitted within the off leash area.
6. Owners are responsible for picking up after their dog.
7. Children under the age of 12 are not permitted within the off leash area.
8. Dogs in the off leash area must be within visible range of their owner. Owners are responsible for their dogs at all times.
Off Leash Dog Area Policy
Off Leash Dog Area Policy [PDF]
The Off Leash Dog Area is maintained and operated by Town Staff in partnership with the Richmond Hill K9 Klub. The Richmond Hill K9 Klub is responsible for upholding the "Shared Responsibility for Ongoing Operations" as outlined within the Off Leash Dog Area Policy.
Important Phone Numbers
Animal control - Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) - 905-898-7122 or 1-888-668-7722
Town By-law Enforcement Services - 905-771-0198
Please call the Town of Richmond Hill at 905-771-8800 if you have other inquiries or concerns.
For more information, contact Tracey Steele, Manager, Park and Natural Heritage Planning, at 905-771-2476 or email@example.com.