Richmond Hill recognizes the social benefits that designated off leash dog areas can provide for both dogs and their owners. As such, after much public consultation and consideration, as well as expressed commitment by many local dog owners, the Town has constructed a permanent Off Leash Dog Area.
Phyllis Rawlinson Park Off Leash Dog Area - MAP
The area, a fenced in 1 hectare site is located in Ward 3 within Phyllis Rawlinson Park just north of Leslie Street and 19th avenue. It is contained by a 1.5m galvanized wired fence with cedar timber posts. The site features a separate small dog area, double gated entrance, an upgraded access path to meet accessibility standards, and onsite parking and bathroom facilities.
Phyllis Rawlinson Park Off Leash Dog Area Rendering [PDF]
Phyllis Rawlinson Park Off Leash Dog Area Site Map [PDF]
Tower Hill Off Leash Dog Area
At the request of members of the community an Off Leash Dog Area was created as a pilot project (in Ward 4 south of Tower Hill Road) in October 2009. Town Staff will study the Tower Hill Pilot Off Leash Area for a 12 month period following the opening of the Phyllis Rawlinson Off Leash Dog Area and report back to Council in late fall 2013 with recommendations regarding the continued operation of the facility.
The area, a fenced 3/4 hectare site, is located in Ward 4 on Town-owned open space lands south of Tower Hill Road and just west of Yonge Street. It is contained by a 1.5 m tall chain link fence with a separate small dog area and a double-gated entry and exit area. The area is also located on the Town’s trail system to maximize its accessibility and the site will not impact any designated sensitive environmental areas.
Tower Hill Off Leash Dog Area Location [PDF]
All Off Leash Dog Areas are subject to the Town’s Off Leash Dog Area Rules (Park Use By-law 16-83)
Hours of Operation: May 15 to October 15 – 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; October 16 to May 14 – 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
1. The following dogs are NOT permitted within the off leash area:
2. Dogs must be accompanied by an owner of at least 16 years of age.
- unlicensed dogs,
- female dogs in heat ,
- male dogs that have not been neutered,
- dogs without up-to-date vaccinations; and
- dogs required to be muzzled pursuant to the Dog Owner’s Liability Act (eg.pitbulls).
3. No one owner may be responsible for more than 3 dogs in the off leash area.
4. Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the off leash area.
5. Glass containers and other breakable materials capable of causing injury to a dog are not permitted within the off leash area.
6. Owners are responsible for picking up after their dog.
7. Children under the age of 12 are not permitted within the off leash area.
8. Dogs in the off leash area must be within visible range of their owner. Owners are responsible for their dogs at all times.
Off Leash Dog Area Policy
Off Leash Dog Area Policy [PDF]
The Off Leash Dog Area is maintained and operated by Town Staff in partnership with the Richmond Hill K9 Klub. The Richmond Hill K9 Klub is responsible for upholding the "Shared Responsibility for Ongoing Operations" as outlined within the Off Leash Dog Area Policy.
Important Phone Numbers
Animal control - Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) - (905) 818-7122
Town By-law Enforcement Services - (905) 771-0198
Please call the Town of Richmond Hill at (905) 771-8800 if you have other inquiries or concerns.
For more information, contact Patrick Lui, Parks Planner, at 905-747-6442 or email@example.com.