Committee of Adjustment

COVID-19 Update:

During the COVID-19 Declaration of Emergency (declared by the Province of Ontario and the City of Richmond Hill under the provisions Section 7.0.1 and Section 4(1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.E.9, respectively) the City of Richmond Hill Committee of Adjustment is holding electronic meetings, and in-person meeting attendance is restricted to electronic attendance only. Any person, who wishes to make a verbal presentation is required to do so electronically via the internet or telephone, and is required to register with the Secretary-Treasurer by 12 p.m. (noon) on the date of the meeting. Registrations can be submitted by email to Committee of Adjustment staff will provide any such person with instructions on how to make their electronic delegation. Written comments by any person unable to attend the meeting should be made by email to, or by mail to the Secretary-Treasurer, The Corporation of the City of Richmond Hill, 225 East Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3P4, or fax to 905-771-2404.

The Committee of Adjustment is composed of five members, who are appointed by the Council of the City of Richmond Hill. The Committee of Adjustment is authorized by the Ontario Planning Act to grant minor variances from the provisions of the Zoning By-law, to permit extensions, enlargements or variations of existing legal non-conforming uses and give consent to an owner of land who wishes to sell, convey or transfer an interest "part" of their land (i.e. creation of a new lot, lot addition, easement).

The Committee's consent is also required when the terms of an agreement, such as a lease, easement or mortgage commits the land to a use for a period in excess of 21 years. In addition to Consent, the Committee of Adjustment has also been delegated the power to issue a "Certificate of Validation". 

2021 Committee of Adjustment Meeting Schedule

The Committee of Adjustment meets on Thursday evenings, starting at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers at the Municipal Offices, located at 225 East Beaver Creek Road.

Meeting Date
January 21, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
February 11, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
March 4, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
March 25, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)

April 15, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)

Ma 6, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)

May 27, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)

June 24, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
July 22, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
August 19, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
September 9, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
October 7, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
October 28, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
November 18, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)
December 9, 2021 (Electronic Meeting)

Committee of Adjustment Meeting Agendas and Staff Reports

Minor Variance and Consent Applications

The owner of any land, building or structure or any person authorized in writing by the owner who is unable to comply with the provisions of the Zoning By-law may apply to the Committee of Adjustment by means of an "Application for Minor Variance".

Minor Variances may be granted provided that, in the opinion of the Committee, the request is minor in nature, is desirable for the appropriate development or use of the land, building or structure and if in the opinion of the Committee, the general intent and purpose of the Zoning By-law and the Official Plan are maintained.

Consent Applications

An owner of land or any person authorized in writing by the owner may apply to the Committee of Adjustment for "consent" to convey part of the land. The Committee may give "consent" if in its opinion the application conforms to the provisions of the Planning Act, Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

How do I Know if I Need a Consent or a Minor Variance?

If you are considering applying for a consent or a minor variance you should contact the Zoning Section in the Building Division to confirm that your proposal will conform with the Zoning By-law. For consents, contact the Planning and Development Department to confirm Official Plan designation.

Building Division
Phone: 905 771-8810
Fax: 905 771-5445

Planning and Development
Phone: 905 771-8910
Fax: 905 771-2404

Applying to the Committee of Adjustment

Any person wishing to apply to the Committee of Adjustment should obtain and complete the appropriate application form. The application form outlines the requirements for submitting an application for "minor variance" or "consent". The requirements include a sketch or survey which will indicate the location of the property, the setbacks of all buildings or structures on the property and sufficient information to clearly identify the variance required or consent being applied for. The number and size of the sketch or survey is outlined on the application form. If necessary, it is recommended that the Toronto Region Conservation Authority be contacted with respect to any concerns it may have. If there is a person acting as an agent for the purposes of the application, authorization is required from the registered owner(s) of the property.

Please be aware that minor variance and consent applications can now be submitted online using the links below.

Ensure that you have all of the materials listed below before you make an application. Only complete digital applications will be accepted - No Exceptions. 

  • Authorization form. All registered owners of the property must sign the form. Please see the link below.
  • Freedom of Information Form signed by a Commissioner of Oath and or Notary Republic has been submitted. Please see link below.
  • Plans must be in metric and has been submitted (Plans in imperial will not be accepted).
  • Tree Inventory is required and has been submitted as a part of this application.
  • Required Traffic Study/Parking, Natural Heritage Evaluation has been submitted as a part of this application.
  • Freedom of Information and Authorization Form

Application Forms


2021 Fee Schedule - Committee of Adjustment
Fee DescriptionAmount
Minor Variance Application Fee $4,246
Minor Variance Recirculation and Revision Fee $2,126
Minor Variance Adjourned Fee $894
Consent Application Fee $5,720
Consent Recirculation and Revision Fee $3,262
Consent Adjourned Fee $1,215
Change of Condition Fee (Consent) $601
Residential Certification Fee $1,424
Non Residential Certification Fee $5,720

Local Planning Appeal Tribunal - Processing Fee

(per appeal)

First Notice Sign $120
Additional Sign $40

All fees effective January 1, 2021 in accordance with By-law No. 105-20 (NON-REFUNDABLE) cheques to be made payable to the City of Richmond Hill.

* All Fees are Subject to Change