Request for Public Comment - Park Name
Council is requesting public comment in accordance with the City’s Policy for Naming and Renaming City Parks, Open Space and Recreation Facilities.
The City of Richmond Hill is proposing to name a future park within the park and natural heritage system as follows:
William Duncan Park
(located on Northern Heights Drive, south of 16th Avenue)
William Duncan owned and resided on the larger land holdings where the City’s future park is now located in the early 1800s. Lot 40-1 Markham Township (now part of Richmond Hill) was at the time a 200 acre parcel bordering on today’s Yonge Street on the west, 16th Avenue to the north, Bayview Avenue to the east and south about 457 metres (500 yards) to current Grey Alder Avenue. William Duncan was born on January 1, 1801 in Ireland to Jane Elliot and William Duncan and immigrated to Canada in 1827. The Duncan house constructed in 1828 was originally located on Yonge Street, south of 16th Avenue. Mr. Duncan married Sarah Mulholland in 1831, and together they had 13 children. Mr. Duncan passed away on July 18, 1886. In 1958, the Duncan house was moved west on the same property to a lot at 231 Duncan Road. In 1997, the house was relocated to the City of Markham to save it from demolition.
Submit Feedback
Please contact Anant Patel, Planner II - Parks at anant.patel@richmondhill.ca or 905-771-2492 by July 8, 2022.
