Road Occupancy Permit

You need a Road Occupancy Permit when working within the right-of-way when in Richmond Hill.

Submit an application

Fill out the online form below to submit a Road Occupancy Permit.

Road Occupancy Permit Form

What requires a Road Occupancy Permit

Work on structures within the right of way

The right of way (ROW) includes all the land and any above or belowground structures from property line to property line across the road allowance.

Some common structures found in the ROW are:

  • Roads
  • Curbs and Gutters
  • Sidewalks
  • Fire Hydrants
  • Streetlights
  • Watermains
  • Storm, Sanitary Sewers and Maintenance Holes
  • Utility services (Gas, Hydro and Telecommunications)
Activities within the right of way

Some of the activities that require a road occupancy permit in Richmond Hill include:

  • Temporary lane closures or construction related road closures
  • Mobile crane work
  • Temporary scaffolding or hoarding
  • Crossing the boulevard for temporary construction site access

Permit applications and fees

Learn about the Road Occupancy Permit restoration requirements.

Private contractors
Private contractors must pay an application fee of $222.77 + HST and an additional convenience fee. They must also have general liability insurance of not less than $5 million per occurrence and/or automobile liability insurance of not less than $2 million for all owned or leased vehicles. Insurance certificates need to be submitted with your application. A traffic protection plan needs to be submitted, as well. This plan should follow the regulations listed in Book 7 of the Ontario Traffic Manual.
Public utility contractors

Public utility contractors working on behalf of Utility Companies with Municipal Access Agreements (MAA) or franchise agreements with Richmond Hill are subject to the fees of their respective agreements. Public Utility Contractors that are not working on behalf of a Utility Company with a MAA or franchise agreements are to apply as private contractors (see above).