David Dunlap Observatory

COVID-19 Update: The DDO is currently closed to the public. Astronomy programs are being offered virtually. Visit RichmondHill.ca/RecGuide to view the programs. 

The Richmond Hill David Dunlap Observatory (DDO) opened in 1935 and is located at 123A Hillsview Drive. Since then, the Observatory has been a research centre for the University of Toronto's Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics and a facility for public education and outreach.

Visit the DDO by registering for tours or programs.

Learn more about:

Heritage Conservation

On September 29, 2009, Richmond Hill Council designated the DDO Property as a "property of cultural heritage value or interest" under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 018, as amended.

David Dunlap Observatory Lands Designation By-law 100-09

On January 24, 2011, Richmond Hill Council approved a Conservation Management Plan for the DDO property. The Conservation Management Plan provides Council with a means to assess any applications to alter heritage features within the DDO property that are designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. The Conservation Management Plan also sets out short, medium and long term maintenance and conservation treatments for the identified heritage attributes.

Richmond Hill David Dunlap Observatory Symbol